Thursday, May 22

The Analogy of a Wedding Anniversary - Worship

(If you are looking for the Connect Bible study for this coming Sunday it is directly below this post)

The following is quoted from John Piper's book Desiring God...

Worship is a way of gladly reflecting back to God the radiance of His worth. This cannot be done by mere acts of duty. It can be done only when spontaneous affections arise in the heart.

Consider the analogy of a wedding anniversary. Mine is on December 21. Suppose on this day I bring home a dozen long-stemmed roses for Noel (Piper's wife). When she meets me at the door I hold out the roses, and she says, "O Johnny, they're beautiful, thank you," and gives me a big hug. Then suppose I hold up my hand and say matter-of-factly, "Don't mention it; its my duty."

What happens? Is not the exercise of duty a noble thing? Do not we honor those we dutifully serve? Not much. Not if there's not heart in it. Dutiful roses are a contradiction in terms. If I am not moved by a spontaneous affection for her as a person, the roses do not honor her. In fact, they belittle her. They are a very thin covering for the fact that she does not have the worth or beauty in my eyes to kindle affection. All I can muster is a calculated expression of marital duty....

The real duty of worship is not the outward duty to say or do the liturgy. It is in the inward duty, the command --"Delight yourself in the Lord!" (Psalm 37:4)....

The reason this is the real duty of worship is that this honors God, while the empty performance of ritual does not. If I take my wife out for the evening on our anniversary and she asks me, "Why do you do this?" the answer that honors her most is, "Because nothing makes me happier tonight that to be with you."

"It's my duty," is a dishonor to her.
"It's my joy," is an honor.


How shall we honor God in worship? By saying, "It's my duty?" Or by saying, "It's my joy"?

No comments: