Wednesday, March 12

Idolatry, Part 2

Remember the story of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego in the Book of Daniel? Let me sum it up real quick and make some quick observations.

King Nebuchadnezer decrees that at the sound of all kinds of music every man shall fall down and worship the golden image that he has set up or be cast into a fiery furnace. It is brought to his attention that there are some Jews (our three friends) that are not obeying the King and do not worship this golden image when the music plays. The king gets very angry. He summons our boys and gives them another chance to worship the golden image or die. They respond by saying,

O Nebuchadnzer, we have no need to answer you in this matter. If this be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of your hand, O king. But if not, be it known to you, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the golden image that you have set up.

Shad, Mesh, and Abednego were willing to die rather than worship anything other than the one, true, living God. They knew and strived to obey the commandment "You shall have no other gods before me."

King David says in Psalm 63, "Because your lovingkindness is better than life my lips will praise you." Is God's love better than life to you? Here are some helpful questions similar to this that help us evaluate what we value most in our lives:

Do I think that God's lovingkindness is better than a nice car (or even a working car)?
Do I think that God's lovingkindness is better than good health?
Do I think that God's lovingkindness is better than an easy life?
Do I think that God's lovingkindness is better than a godly husband/wife?
Do I think that God's lovingkindness is better than obedient children?
Do I prize God more than everything else in my life? If everything around you was going wrong and nothing went your way would you be content and still be able to praise God?
What do I think I need besides God?
In your life right now what do you place the most value on? You can see this by asking yourself, "How would I respond if _______(spouse, children, health, job, money, house, etc) were taken away from me? Would you with Job be able to say "Blessed be the name of the Lord." or with his wife who encouraged Job to "curse God and die."

Think about it.

No comments: